12/12/2013

Sweet, Sweet Charity

Poof.

That's how my dear cousin, Charity, left. Too sudden, too quick, too soon. When we heard the devastating news, we didn't know what hit us.
 
Close kin rushed to be with her. Others, from all over the world, kept vigil at her e-wake and joined in a circle of prayer for the comfort of her two sons and loved ones. 

Poof.

Life is brief; so brief that the Bible uses these images to describe it . . .

Swifter than a weaver's shuttle;

Like an eagle swooping on its prey;

A breath that passes away;

An evening shadow;

A flower or grass that withers;

Like a mist that vanishes;


Poof.

A very brief flash, and then it is gone. Life is given and life is taken.

We will never, ever, know why the Lord allowed it to happen in such a speed. But what we do know is that sweet, sweet Charity, who loved and served Him well while she was with us, is now resting in the arms of Jesus. 

Those of us who loved her dearly are grieving and will grieve for sometime, but a brief life was not meant for Charity alone, but for all of us.

May the Psalmist's prayer in chapter 39:4-6 be our prayer, too, as we send off Charity to be with Jesus forever:

"Lord, remind me how brief my time on earth will be. Remind me that my days are numbered—how fleeting my life is. You have made my life no longer than the width of my hand.    

"My entire lifetime is just a moment to you; at best, each of us is but a breath.

"We are merely moving shadows, and all our busy rushing ends in nothing. We heap up wealth, not knowing who will spend it."


God, by Your grace, may we learn to number our days. Thank You for the life of my cousin Charity. Amen

P.S.

Chary, Miss May will miss you. So will the Dacs and Chongs. So will Clan-V.

photo credit: www.fabric-world.com

1 comment:

Yay Padua-Olmedo said...

Life is fleeting but we are secure in Christ. Thank you Lord.