11/03/2013

ASAP

This acronym is the rhythm of people in advertising, where the sense of urgency was drilled into my system. Men and women move, get things done, and define ASAP the way it should be.  

"ASAP can also apply to politicians," my friend V says. "Take some of our senators, congressmen, and barangay officials. When we say, 'What a wretched man we elected into office!' the wretched man becomes richer and more powerful ASAP," she adds.

Except for V's commentary, I think ASAP is taken seriously only by admen, who are deadline-oriented and result-focused—they are forever on their toes or they lose an account to someone whose ASAP is even faster.

In the real world, people generally take their own sweet time. They seem to be in no hurry.

I usually wait one hour, or more, for my doctor; stand in line for the same length of time at my bank; count days before I get a response for a request from a government bureau; send three messages to a friend before he finds time to text back. Why, we've been waiting for years and years for peace to reign in Mindanao! 

ASAP, I have discovered, is not a proprietary tool of people in advertising (or politics, as my friend V cited). It is as old as the hills.

It was invented in Bible times. As I continue to read about God's prophets and people, I find ASAP to have been their rhythm, too. In those days they were enabled by God to get things done ASAP.

Moses parted the Red Sea in half by simply raising his staff so the the Israelites, on foot, can escape unscathed from the pursuit of Egyptians soldiers, in carriages.

Elijah parted the Jordan river to cross it.  

Jesus made the blind see again, the lame walk again, and the sick well again. ASAP.

The walls of Jericho came crashing down after the people of Israel marched around them for seven days.

Lot's wife turned to salt with one quick backward look.

Aaron's rod turned into a serpent, surprising Egypt's powerful Pharaoh. 

Joshua won battles after battles as soon as God told him He would.

A whole tribe or town of pagans or idol worshipers would be razed to the ground with God's say-so.

I can go on.

Yes, ASAP originated from God almighty when He created the world and everything in it in six days.

Today, Jesus likewise gives us the grace of forgiveness ASAP when we come to Him repentant and ask Him to come into our hearts. 1 John 1:9 (NLT) reads, ". . . if we confess our sins to him, he is faithful and just to forgive us our sins and to cleanse us from all wickedness."

I think ASAP, in God's dictionary, is the acronym for grace.

No comments: