1/06/2011

Generous Gift of Family

You could say my life is too predictable.

As the old year ends and the new year begins, you know exactly where to find me: the reunion of the clan on my mother's side, going strong annually for 66 years.  My family declines all invitations to other functions just to attend this gathering.

There I take stock of the importance of relationships and of why the Lord gifted us with a family.  And there I have an unforgettable time bonding with old and new members (newborns and just added in-laws). 

This year, the event was a tribute to the Neoriginals (third generation of 45 cousins, to which I belong).  It was chaired and managed by the Gen-Next (fourth generation).  

These kids know all about gratitude and respect, values which were, I like to think,  passed on by those who came before them.  In fact, for the Memorial/Thanksgiving  Service just before the clock struck 12 on New Year's eve, they chose the  theme "Faith passed on."

Neoriginals and their spouses
The 66th reunion opened with a heart-stopping, eye-popping photo exhibit showcasing pictures of us, the Neoriginals.  It was complete with ribbon cutting, a short program, and cocktails, reminding me of my own book launches.
Each Neoriginal had a frame showing him/her as a baby and as he/she is today.  What made my eyes pool even more were the text below the photos—each written warmly and poignantly by a younger closest of kin.

Reading my frame
My own twig on the family tree   
More of the photo exhibit
Mine was short and sweet: “Grace May is a gift of grace. And like GOD's grace, she can't fully be figured out. Gifts of grace, after all, are undeserved but we receive them anyway. All we need to do is be thankful.”

This is my mom's branch from where I hang (16 are abroad)
Same branch, back view
With my famous nephew, Alvin Patrimonio
The venue is appropriately dubbed "The Lord's Garden." A big cross dominated the wide open surroundings where the kids played our traditional hide and seek, various sports, and where we posed for our group photos.

Sixty-sixth-reunion attendees
Then . . . (although I have written about it gazillion of times, it still felt like it was my first time) we held hands, right over left, to form a giant circle to sing our clan hymn, "Blest be the tie that binds," after a prayer of thanksgiving for those who were away, those who have gone beyond, and those who made it there, by a pastor in the clan.

As a tradition, the oldest attendee starts the handshake (like a live wire) that moves quickly from one hand to the next around the circle.  Countdown: 10, 9, 8, 7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2, 1—Happy New Year!

Thank You, Lord, for Your generous gift of family.

No comments: