11/23/2010

Scary Sign

My hair stood on ends when I read this sign along EDSA. I've never seen a traffic sign more explicit.

(English translation: Don't cross, someone died here.)

Whoever thought of this sign sure knows how pig-headed pedestrians can be. 

Then I almost screamed when I saw a man darting across.  Yes, mindlessly and foolishly crossing the busy highway—despite the sign!

My brain and hands went numb so I couldn't click my camera quickly enough to catch him.

We are not the only people who never learn.  We read in our Bible that God's people violated God's laws over and over again, book after book. Despite epic lessons learned,  people just kept sinning, straying away, disobeying commands, rules, or even threats. 

And yet, the grace of forgiveness on the cross came to us free. Available 24/7 to whomever comes clean and asks for it.  

My prayer is that we don't die in the process of crossing.  By then it will be too late.

(Uh, oh.  What a creepy post I just wrote!  Well, the man who defied the chilling sign on EDSA is a creepy reminder of how we can be lost forever.)  

“Keep my decrees and laws, for the person who obeys them will live by them. I am the LORD.” (Leviticus 18:5)

2 comments:

Stephaine said...

well we are the kind of human being, they say we are rational and logical that makes us diff from the other and yet we are the most illogical and irrational creation ever there..

nice post anyway I guess i saw this too one time.. I dont live in manila but I think I have seen this one on one of my travel over there

Grace D. Chong said...

Illogical and irrational - right you are! Add "stubborn" to the list and we have a complete description of how we shouldn't behave. But we continue to hope that people will see the light sooner or later. Thanks for the comment!